Monday, September 15, 2008

How to recover from a terrible long run.....

I truly am Blessed!!! I have wonderful friends who care about me and make sure I know it!! I received phone call's, text messages and e-mails throughout the day on Saturday from these wonderful people checking on me to make sure I was ok and cheer me up.
I really didn't do much on Saturday after I blogged about the terrible run... I went to wal-mart to pick up a few things and bought a new book. I used to be a voracious reader I never went more than a couple of days in between books, but since I started running I either don't have the time or if I get still and quiet enough to read I fall asleep.
Tropical storm Ike was pushing his way to Arkansas throughout the day on Saturday and the weathermen had predicted severe weather well into Sunday afternoon. I thought a book would be the perfect way to ride out the storm.
Oh and by the way Ike spawned a tornado about a mile from my house!!! Too scary!
I spent Saturday evening reading with HGTV on in the background... very relaxing and just what I needed.
Sunday morning for the first time in ages I slept in until almost 8:30!! that was a 4.5 hour difference from Saturday morning.
When I got up I looked around and thought good grief I really need to spend the day around the house. Our dryer has been broken so laundry was piling up etc. My plan was to go to the laundra-mat, I HATE the laundra-mat!!! but desperate times call for desperate measures.
Luckily I was saved from laundry hell by my friend Michele. She texted wanting to know if I wanted to go on a fun bike ride with her and Alex. When I responded with a no and told her the reason she INSISTED I bring my laundry to her house. It is hard to say no to Michele and knowing her she would have come to my house and loaded up my laundry herself!!
I didnt' take ALL of the laundry but I got together some stuff , loaded Francesca in the CRV and we were off to Krooked Kreek.
I arrived just in time for breakfast :) homemade biscuits and gravy with eggs and bacon.. yummy!! Michele is a very good cook.
Arland also came over for breakfast and we all had a nice time chatting and eating and doing laundry. Michele even made me match all of Arland's socks for him!! LOL
After breakfast Arland left, James retired to the living room to work on taxes and Michele, Alex and I headed out on our bike ride.
I think I might have forgotten to mention that the weathermen got it wrong for Sunday morning!! When I woke up it was SUNNY and beautiful... still pretty windy but not the tropical force winds that had been predicted. I guess Ike moved through the state a lot quicker than they orginally thought.
We rode our bikes at a very leisurely pace all over Cabot... we went to Mt. Mudd and had iced coffee's and a frozen non coffee drink for Alex (he doesn't need the extra stimulants!!) we rode over to Michele's grandmother's house and had a short visit... we went to a grade school and Alex climbed a tree and we just plain ol had FUN!!!
We went back to the house worked on laundry for a few minutes, gathered our bathing suits and stuff and got back on our bikes and headed to the Community Center to swim for a little while... on the way we stopped at the high school track and ran/walked a couple of laps so that Alex could have a mixed up triathalon.
The pool was great, the water temp was cool but not too cold we grabbed boogie boards and kicked back and forth across the pool while Alex alternated between swimming and splashing us. I really didn't want to get out of the pool but it was almost 3:30 by this time and we still had the bike ride home.
Our total mileage for the day was 15 miles.... 15 fun, relaxing miles!!!
James had helped me with my laundry so when we got back to the house we just had to hang some stuff up put my stuff in the dryer for just a little bit and all that left was towels.
While we were waiting for my things to dry we looked at Michele's pictures from San Francisco... she and Cheryl both have really nice digital cameras and got some great pictures!! I need to go back over sometime and e-mail them to myself and Cheryl.
It was about 5:00 when I got home, Arland had a meeting to go to at 6:30 so I cooked him some dinner ate a littel myself and then got ready for my 7:00 run with Kelly, Jane and Michele.
I was a little nervous about the run I wasn't sure how my legs were going to feel etc. We started off at the CC and did our little CC loop before we headed off into the neighborhoods. Right away we were running at a pretty good pace, I was running along thinking oh this is going to be tough!! Michele was full of energy and as usualy she was pulling us along. I wasn't struggling but I was definately feeling the pace I told myself just suck it up it is a short run so just run as hard as long as you can, luckily I wasn't the only one feeling that way and Kelly said hey are we running a race or something??? LOL I was relieved to know it wasn't just me. When my Garmn beeped at the first mile I looked down and saw our first lap was 9:54... hmmm not as fast as I thought it would be... sure felt like we were going faster BUT either way a great pace for the first mile!
Michele was like a wind up toy, she had a string on her running top and she was just twisting away at it and I swear it made her faster and faster!! There is one road that we run on that is a long incline and most of the time this is where we will take a water break. Jane called a break but I couldn't walk... just like on Monday night I was afraid to walk because I was afraid I might not be able to start running again... so I just slowed way down to a jog that wasn't really much faster than there walk, it helps to get my heart rate down but then I don't have the stress on my hips of starting the run again.
We went through a few new neighborhoods which introduced a few new hills/inclines. Every now and then someone would say good grief why are we running so fast and we would all laugh and slow down a little bit but without even knowing it we would be back up to speed within a few seconds probably because our wind up toy Michele never slowed down!!
About 3 miles in we saw some other runners in the distance... actually they were running so fast that at first Michele thought they were bikers!
They were actually a couple of guys and a girl from the High School track team... Michele knew one of them and turned around to run/talk with them for a minutes. When she turned around I said oh good NOW we can slow down and we did for a little bit but then we had a hill to get up and we turned up the speed and just kept up the pace. We werent' worried about Michele I knew she would catch up with us and she did just that, we were running along when all of a sudden we could hear the pounding of her feet as she approached. It was dark so we couldn't really see her but we could definately hear her coming!! LOL
She of course was yelling at us for making her have to work so hard to catch up with us! ha ha
Kelly mentioned that we were almost at 4 miles in 37:xxxx .. we were just about to approach our last hill and I really wanted to see how fast we could finish the 4 miles so we all charged up and we hit 4 miles in 38:13 :)
I was thrilled... but that last charge up the hill didn't thrill my stomach and I had to come to an abrupt stop right after 4 miles. The girls didn't realize I had stopped and kept going, I could see the CC in the distance and just prayed i would make it. Luckily once i let it calm down for a few seconds I was able to run again and when I caught back up with the girls I even suggested we add on at the tennis courts so we could get 5 miles. I only needed 4.3 miles on this run this hit my weekly mileage goal but 4.3 is just too weird of a number to stop at!! LOL
We also claimed that we would make it our cool down....
5.01 miles
47:44 9:32 avg pace
Seriously I haven't had such a fast run in ages!! It felt great!!
But wow how do you go from barely being able to run at all to running faster than normal??? I guess I shed that other persons body I was running with on Saturday... and the lower humidity made a huge difference too!!
After the run Kelly and I headed to Jacksonville for our weekly Starbuck's visit. We had the choco-banana vivatno protein drinks and kicked back and relaxed and chatted for over an hour! I looked down at my phone and it was 9:30!!!!
The trip to Starbucks with Kelly was the perfect end to a perfect day :) It was a perfect recovery day!!

No comments: