Tuesday, March 18, 2008


Friday March 14th was the 2nd annual 26.2 Inspiration Run. Arland and I were a part of the first one last year and I had planned to be a part of it again this year.

Jackie Clinton a Cruiser and friend came up with the idea last year to run to each school in Cabot to promote awareness of the Childhood obesity epidemic. It is a great cause and we had a great time. Last year we did it in late May and it was HOT HOT HOT! but it was so worth it, the kids really seemed to get a big kick out of it and hopefully we made a least one see how fun running can be.

As I said in my last post I started getting sick on Wednesday night and I fought it really hard but I was just still too sick to run on Friday. When Arland left to meet the others I was just devestated, I could not believe how upset I was. Just as he was leaving Livia and Kylie drove up. Kylie has also been sick and might be where I caught my bug from.
I guess around 9:30 I looked at the run schedule to see what time they would be at the school down the street from us. I had decided that Kylie and I would go and see them. We got dressed and drove over... it brought new tears to my eyes to see all those kids lined up waiting for the runners. We parked and I saw Phil, Jackie's husband. He was really sweet to me, and commiserated with me for a minute about being sick. He told me which direction they were coming in so I was able to position us for the best view. This year they had police escorts.. how cool!!! First we saw the police and then Dennis in his van honking and then there they were... wow how thrilling!!

Here comes Joan and Kylie is just beside herself, as soon as Joan saw Kylie she ran over and gave her a big hug. Talk about making a little girl happy! Kylie was thrilled, we walked over and mingled with the runners while Jackie gave her speech to the school kids and then it was time for them to leave. Orginally I had only planned to go to this school and then be at Magness Creek at the end. Instead we ended up following them around for several more schools. At each school whenever Joan would see Kylie she would run over and hug her.

I finally started feeling really tired so we went home for a couple of hours to rest before going to Magness Creek.

When we got there the kids were all waiting outside, they had a finish line set up, it was just awesome. Coach O had taken a group of kids up to Hwy 5 to cheer on the runners and then run in the last little bit with them. Kylie and I walked up there as well and I just can't describe what it was like watching them crest the hill and run towards us. Once they reached us we all fell in and started running with them. We saw Arland but he didnt' see us, Kylie kept calling his name but I think the blood was rushing through his head too much from all of the excitement and he didn't hear us. And then Kylie saw Joan and she grabbed Kylie's hand and they ran in together. That touched my heart so much, Kylie wasn't the only happy little girl at that moment my heart was just so full!

I started the day broken hearted and I ended it with a full heart. I didnt' get to run but I was a part of it... Kylie and I both were, today was about inspiring kids and that's exactly what I did... what we all did.


ShirleyPerly said...

What a great event! And although you were sick, I'm glad you could still be there and take some great photos. Hope you get better soon!

kim said...

Kylie is getting so big!!