Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend Recap

Survivors Challenge 5K - Jackie's Birthday Party - Sunday morning Brick

Survivors Challenge 5K Fort Smith-

We arrived in Fort Smith about 6:50am, we found parking and were lucky enough that they had public restrooms which they opened just as we arrived. It was a long drive 2.5 hours, I spent part of it sleeping and part of it text messaging with Rock.
We had not preregistered for the race but since we were so early it was a very painless process we got our bibs and t-shirts wandered around a bit and had plenty of time to warm up.
Gary, Curtis, Rock, Arland and I were the only participants from Cabot so we ended up not having enough to field a team for the men or women. OH well we had fun anyway!!

Pattie and her husband were there and they have joined the Cruisers but Pattie is registered on the Grand Prix with ARK. I met Pattie during the WCR Clinic, she lives in Sherwood and it was just sheer chance that she came to Cabot. Gina Lockard one of our participants happened to meet her out shopping I think at Wal-Mart and they struck up a conversation and the next think you know Gina has brought her to our Clinic and now Pattie is a part of us. Unfortunately Gina is moving in June she and her husband are being transffered to San Antonio. I wish she would have found us sooner!!!

So back to the race..... The course had been advertised as flat but it turns out that wasn't exactly the case, it wasn't hilly compared to what we are used to, but not flat either.
I started off at a kind of fast but not too fast pace, I was ok but knew right from the beginning that this wasn't going to be my best race. I never really felt comfortable, not that you are supposed to be comfortable during a 5K, but my breathing was rough the whole time, it never smoothed out like it normally does. I didn't stop at either water stop and I never walked but I just couldn't find that extra gear... until I saw Curtis just before the finish line, he shouted out encouragment to me and all of a sudden I was able to sprint but it was too little too late. I think the fact that I didn't run all week and that it was pretty warm both had an effect on my running!
My finishing time was 28:44... which is still a good time for me but I know I can do better!!!
I am still very happy that I got in a good run and my leg didn't hurt... much. I found everyone including Pattie Rock and Gary were going to run a couple more miles for a cool down. Pattie and I decided to join them, or should I say trail behind them. It was a nice run and I had a chance to chat with Pattie.. she is a very nice lady.
With the warm up, race and cool down I ended up with 5.5 miles for the day.

We met the Race director for the Mount Magazine 15K on June 7th... they were sitting next to us during the awards ceremony, everyone had on their Cabot Cruiser singlets, they asked if we were planning on doing the 15K. It is very challenging 3 miles of rolling hills and then 6 miles straight up. It sounds like fun and we are planning on going.
We stopped in Russellville on the way home and had breakfast at Cracker Barrell.... it was a long way to travel for a 5K, but it was worth it to spend time with our friends!!!!

Saturday night was Jackie's birthday party and she had a room reserved at the new Irish Pub in North Little Rock... Creegans Irish Pub. It was great, lot's of good food and drinks, the way the room was set up it was easy to mingle and have a chance to visit with everyone. Arland, Jane and I rode to NLR with Bailey, she was our "designated driver" so since we didnt' have to worry about driving home we had a few cocktails... I myself had 3 margaritas... mmmmm so yummy!!
The plan was to have dinner and then go to the River Market to Willy D's piano bar... unfortunately we had a 6:00am BRICK on Sunday morning so we called it a night after dinner. Happy Birthday Jackie!!

Sunday was my first official Brick... last summer I rode my comfort bike for a few miles and then ran around the neighborhood so I knew it was hard!!
The plan was to ride out for 30 minutes and then turn around.. this way everyone finishes at the same time, or close to it.
We were late, seems to be happening a lot lately... I guess because it takes longer to load up 2 bikes????
So the group had already left, our plan was to just ride until we saw the lead person and then turn around. I think we ended up with 50 minutes of riding and close to 12 miles. I am getting better at knowing when to shift gears and stuff but it was still challenging. I forgot to turn my Garmin on and I don't know what the problem is with the computer on my bike... but just before the turn around I turned on my Garmin and I averaged 14.4 mph in 6.5 miles.
I turned around when I saw Cindy... she is an awesome biker!!! Very fast!!!! Anyway I actually turned around when I could see her in the distance, but it didn't take her long to catch up and overtake me. She rode along side me for a minute and then she was gone, and she makes it look so effortless!
We had 7 riders and when we got back to the Water company we had a few people waiting to run with us. Bailey, Cindy and David S. are all injured so they didnt' do the run.. Bailey stayed and entertained Michele's daughter Abby so that Michele could run with us. Ginny and her friend Jennifer also met us for the run, we ended up with 7 runners same amount as we had for the bike portion but obviously not the same people.
Arland, Brenda, JamesB.and myself did both the bike and run.
As soon as we started running my calf hurt! Damn I really thought it was all better, or close to it. We kept on running and it did loosen up but I always knew it was there. James and Arland started off together and Brenda, Michele, Ginny, Jennifer and I were together. Michele and Brenda pulled a little ahead and I ran with Ginny and Jennifer... we were running a really good pace but I wasn't feeling good at all!! I had brought some honey stinger chews and enlytene to take after the bike ride but then I couldn't find them... so I had only had a little bit of water, and I started off the morning with only one peanut butter cracker. Luckily Ginny who was running a very easy pace for her was chatting so I was able to just enjoy listening to her talk and that helped keep my mind off of my ragged breathing.
Ginny and Jennifer turned around just before the 2 mile mark and I was by myself for a little while... which was ok with me, I slowed my pace a little. I could see that everyone had turned right ahead of me and I was thinking that I might turn around when I got to 2.5 miles, the plan was for 6 but I was going to cut it short. BUT Michele and Brenda turned back for me so I kept going. We had caught up with Arland and I was really struggling when we reached the 3 mile point Brenda and Arland turned around but Michele who hates out and backs wanted to keep going... we ended up making a big square and adding on about 1/2 a mile. The last 2 miles were rough and I had to do a lot of walking. I guess 3 margartias and no breakfast isn't a very good nutrition plan for a brick!! LOL BUT I didn't have any stomach issues either!!! Good thing since there are no restrooms/portapotties etc in this area!
After the run Arland, Brenda and I went to Michele's house and she made us a big old fashioned breakfast... homemade biscuits and gravy with bacon and eggs. YUMMY!!!!!!!
We both took a nap after we got home and then Arland spent the afternoon playing "pool boy"... the water is still a little cold but the pool is ready!! just in time for the hot weather.


Cheryl said...

Here's a stupid question, why do they call it a Brick?

Annette said...

I know I have either been told or read the answer to that question... but the first thing that popped into my head when I read your comment was "because your legs feel like bricks"!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Annette - that is exactly why it is called a Brick - LOL! I googled it.

It was a lot fun and of course as always I enjoyed the run more than the bike but most of all enjoyed the company and MICHELLE'S BREAKFAST!!!!!!


gabsatrucker said...

Thanks for the well-wishes! Sounds like you had a great weekend. I'm ready to get back out on the road, tentatively planning on my next race for 6/28 and hope to get the ok to run next week.

ShirleyPerly said...

Hmm, I thought that they were called brick workouts because one workout was layered on top of another one. Whatever the case, good job getting it done! I'm sure they'll get easier with continued practice and better nutrition. Does this mean you're getting into triathlons?