Wednesday, December 10, 2008

St.Jude/Memphis Pre Race

Friday morning we met a large group of Cruiser's at Brenda's house for the trip to Memphis. Bailey hoped in the car with us and off we were with Joan in the lead while Brenda and Arland tried to keep up. We made one pit stop in Brinkley and thank goodness I know I woudln't have made it all the way to Memphis.

The Hotel we stayed in was across the street from the Expo and with the cold and wind we decided to go through the Hotel instead of around it. This turned out to be a very good thing since we were actually able to check into our rooms early. After checking in we went back out to the cars got our luggage and then we all headed to the Expo. The Memphis expo is pretty small but well organized and we were able to pick up our packets pretty quickly. I really wasn't much in the mood for shopping but I did get myself a new long sleeve running shirt and one for Kylie from the "I run like a girl" booth. I was in such a non shopping mood that I didn't even buy any Bondi Bands.. heck I barely even stopped by for more than a few seconds.

It seemed like everytime I turned a corner I was running into someone I know... we had a huge Cabot Cruiser turnout in Memphis and it was just so cool to have so many familiar faces around.
After the Expo we went back to the room and relaxed for a little while before dinner... I think I might have taken a 15 minute cat nap.
As a group we had decided to just stay at the Hotel Restaurant for a Pasta buffet. It turned out to be really good and we pretty much took over the front portion of the restaurant. I had a little penne pasta with red sauce and a little farfalle pasta with a white sauce... I also had a baked potato which was really good!! They also had some desserts so I had a small slice of pumpkin pie. It was fun to sit with Rick and Russ and hear them make plans for their race they were both running the 1/2.

Rock was running the 1/2 marathon and had driven up from Georgia with her mom... I have missed her so much and it was so good to see her and meet her mom. Her mom was just so NICE!!!!! and I bet she is a lot of fun to hang out with... maybe another time!

We had finished dinner and were headed back to the Expo when James and Michele finally made it to the Hotel so Arland and I turned around and went back to the hang out with them while they had dinner.

Tammy and Don were celebrating their 25th anniversry on Saturday and had invited everyone to have cake and water Friday night. Believe it or not I had a piece of cake... It was delicious but i was thinking what the heck and I doing to myself!!

Finally we were back in our room.... but no rest for the weary! I got everything ready for the next morning.. I laid out pants and skirt because I just couldnt' make up my mind what to wear. Kelly brought up some bread and we made peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. I made a couple for Michele... made one for my breakfast and one for the Marathon. Well not a whole sandwich a "fold over". By the time I finished getting everything ready it was almost 10:00 and I was a little freaked out about how late it was!!
I placed one of my PB&J foldovers on the nightstand by my side of the bed and asked Arland to set the alarm for 4:50......


Susan said...

Exciting stuff! I can't wait to read the rest.

Joe said...

Sounds like we were in the same was well connected to the expo!!

I was down in the lobby at 5am eating my bread and jelly...sounds like you were up too!!